Wednesday, November 12, 2008

linguine with tuna and tomato!

The princess is sick with a throat infection so I’ve been house bound for the last 3 days. I haven’t even been to the shop so needless to say my fridge and cupboards are empty. I always have the basics so there is always a pasta dish that can be made from the few bits I do have. This is my survival list:

- olive oil
 - tinned tuna
 - capers
 - tins of Italian tomatoes
 - sea salt and black pepper
 - lots of dried pasta
 - dried chilli
 - parmesan cheese in the fridge
 - butter
 - fresh basil on the window sill
 - garlic
 - anchovies
 - onions
 - cherry tomatoes
 - dried oregano
 - lemons (dried out most of the time)

Today I decided to give this simple pasta a try and it was really delicious. People often ask me about cooking pasta without it sticking together etc so I took a few photos to show you how I cook mine.

what you need:

-  tin of Italian tuna in olive oil, the difference in quality really is amazing with tuna in brine but you can use this if you can’t get Italian.

-  400g tin of Italian tomatoes, once again an Italian brand is so much better and I don’t mean Roma:) De Cecco pomodorini are excellent, they are so sweet and full of flavour.

- 1/2 an onion finely diced

- 1 garlic clove finely chopped

- olive oil

- sea salt and black pepper

- 350g linguine or spaghetti

what to do:

- bring a pot of water to the boil and add salt. Fill the base of your frying pan with olive oil , add your onion and garlic and cook until softened.

once your onions and garlic have softened add your tomatoes and simmer for about 10-15 mins:

once your water is boiling add your pasta and make sure you stir it with a pasta fork or slotted spoon for tubular pasta:

the key to cooking pasta right is to continue to stir it, you do not need to use oil:

cook until al dente, I check mine by taking a piece out and biting it, no pic of me biting it I’m afraid;)

drain and return to the pan:

season your sauce, add your tuna and cook for a couple of minutes and add some of your sauce to your linguine:

serve with the remaining sauce on top and enjoy:)

buon appetito!

Posted by LOR&BRU in 15:16:38
Comments

10 Responses to “linguine with tuna and tomato!”

1. bigtree says:

Looks simple but delicious! PS Thaks for posting the Chickpea & Spinach pasta soup recipe last month – I finally got around to making it for lunch today and really really enjoyed it.

2. Anonymous says:

Che buono!!! This is one of my favorite pasta dishes.
    Ciao.
    Orchidea

3. Anonymous says:

Lorraine i read a comment somewhere (!!) recently that Roma Organic tinned tomatoes are as flavoursome as the real italian .. can you comment on this ? Also where can I get the good ones in Dublin ?

4. NewsWire says:

wow that looks nice!. must give it a go
    NewsWire

5. Anonymous says:

bigtree – no bother, glad you liked it:)

Orchidea – it’s so simple but so delicious:)

Anon – tbh I haven’t had Roma in years but out of interest I’ll try out a tin of the organic and report back. You can get the De Cecco in Fallon and Byrne. I saw them there the last time I was there.

Newswire – welcome:) Let me know how you get on if you try it.

6. Michele says:

My mom used to make this a lot when we were kids. It was the only way she could sneak fish into me and my sister. :-) It looks great!

7. download says:

highly readable and, in part, quite entertaining….the website is certainly worth a visit

8. You did it! …How did you do it?

9. belgiane says:

The article, with a good start, is very new and different eye-catching.

10. Anonymous says:

Weekends to peopleig2tmean that they can have a two-day wowgold4europe good rest. For example, people gameusdcan go out to enjoy themselves or get meinwowgoldtogether with relatives and friends to talk with each storeingameother or watch interesting video tapes with the speebiewhole family.
    Everyone spends agamegoldweekends in his ownmmoflyway. Within two days,some people can relax themselves by listening to music, reading novels,or watchingogeworld films. Others perhaps are more active by playing basketball,wimming ormmorpgvipdancing. Different people have different gamesavorrelaxations.
    I often spend weekends withoggsalemy family or my friends. Sometimes my parents take me on a visit to their old friends. Sometimesgamersell I go to the library to study or borrow some books tommovirtexgain much knowledge. I also go to see various exhibition to broadenrpg tradermy vision. An excursion to seashore or mountain resorts is my favorite way of spending weekends. Weekends are always enjoyable for me.
    igxe swagvaultoforu wowgold-usaignmax wowgoldlivebrogame thsaleGoldRockUbrogame
    swagvaultgoldsoonoforuigxethsale