Saturday, October 18, 2008

fish goujons!

I have never been so interested in politics or the news as I have been this week which would account for why I have abandoned the blog over the last few days but the “budget” took precedence. It’s anxious times for everybody as we really are venturing into the unknown, it’s a strange place for us to be as business owners as up until now our focus was always on how to grow the business, what our next business venture would be etc etc but now it’s just focusing on what we have and try to keep costs to a minimum and basically “hold our own”. We have had to cut back all of our staff and are basically running on skeleton staff which means doing the work of 4 people ourselves with a couple of others. To be honest we don’t mind as we did the enjoy the “celtic tiger” years so it’s back to normality now I suppose, all work and no play!!

It’s interesting though as we’ve obviously put opening a second place on hold for the moment and are talking with a builder to change La Cucina around and put in seating for about 25 but the big question now is “will the bank give us the money”???, this would never have been an issue before but now everything has changed. The strange thing is we have wanted to go into the city centre for the last 3 years but could never find the right place with affordable rent and now  2 different developers contacted us(unheard of) this week with fabulous developments that are scheduled to be finished in 2010 and wanting us to take units in both, before we would have jumped at the chance but we’re not deciding on anything now until we see what happens with the economy.

The one thing I do hope that comes out of this recession is the growth of small local business, hopefully commercial rents will become more affordable (our rent review has been postponed), the number of franchises will probably slow down as the volume won’t be there anymore and people might become more frugal with their spending and support local businesses and producers, fingers crossed!!

The princess still won’t eat fish so I tell her these are chicken nuggets and it works every time:) I don’t have exact  measurements but they are simple to make so I’m sure you will manage without.

what you need:

- cod fillets cut into goujons

- breadcrumbs ( I buy the fresh 200g bag in Superquinn)

- 1 tbsp chopped flat parsley

- zest of 1 lemon

- plain flour

- 100g grated Parmesan

- oil

- sea salt and black pepper(for mammy and daddy)

- 2 beaten eggs

what to do:

- season your goujons and  roll in flour.

- mix together your breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon zest and Parmesan in a bowl.

- fill a frying pan with lots of oil and heat.

- dip your goujons into the beaten egg and then the breadcrumbs mix and cook until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.

- serve with Parmesan mash and fried eggs – YUM!!!! Fast food at it’s best!

buon appetito!

Posted by LOR&BRU in 17:31:54
Comments

7 Responses to “fish goujons!”

1. maryann says:

We will all get through this together somehow. And your fish sticks will help :)

2. marie says:

Hi Lor, I hope things change soon, it’s definitly scary times out there for everyone.
    People are getting laid off from their jobs every day here. Those of us who have jobs are very fortunate. I love bright white cod!

3. abulafia says:

All quite worrisome on the credit and budget fronts at present. Must be doubly so for anyone with a business to run.

Goujons look great. Made onion rings last night with a cold bubbly batter – used spring water and ice cubes. Worked a treat. Have you tried studding your goujons with small pieces of something – little tiny pieces of chilli mixed in with the crumbs, for instance, which sweeten up a treat.

Hope the recession treats you well….

4. Anonymous says:

Kids are gas aren’t they? My friend’s little girl won’t eat chicken, but if we tell her it’s turkey she gobbles it down. The other day in the supermarket, she kept telling her mum she wanted a “sexy box”. My friend eventually worked out that she wanted a SELECTION box! Don’t know where she got “sexy box” from!

5. Anonymous says:

Hi Lor

Just called to the Cucina for the very first time, picked up a delicious veggie wrap, and it was only as I was on my way out the door and say the press cuttings that I realised it was your place!

I’ve been enjoying your blog for ages now, but today I’m reading while eating your most delicious food too!

You should look for some catering business for the various receptions in UL. They often need nibbles, and have a budget

6. Anonymous says:

Hi,

Just followed your link from magicmum and wanted to say how much i’ve enjoyed your writing (on two blogs) and your recipes. You sent me into a frenzy over parmasen cheese and had to get some – made a lovely butternut squash and sage lasagne.

will be keeping an eye out for your recipes.

Leda

7. Anonymous says:

Anon in Limerick – we do catering with the Health Science building a lot but not with the others. I did a big mail drop last year to all the different depts but heard nothing back, who would I contact??

Leda – welcome, I like the sound of that lasagna as I have loads of sage in my garden:)

Thanks Maryann and Marie as always:)

Anon – that’s so funny about the “sexy box”:)