chickpea and spinach soup!!
My little sis, I have 3, is pregnant and due her baby in a few weeks. She’s had the toughest time but has been so strong and positive, we’re all really proud of her. She’s in the nesting period and pottering around the house cooking and cleaning like a little housewife and I’m getting texts everyday about what she’s cooked off the blog and how her ”chicken eating simpsons and cops loving hubby” has loved everything she’s cooked. I got a request for this recipe to be posted today as she is craving it since I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago and another regular reader bigtree asked for it too so here it is:
what you need:
- 1 litre meat stock, I used Kallo stock cubes. Meat stock does make a big difference to the taste of this soup but veg is fine too.
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 carrot chopped finely
- 1 celery stick chopped finely
- 250g spinach washed and chopped
- 1 400g can chickpeas
- 100g soup pasta (fine without if you can’t get any but it really makes the soup lovely and filling)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
what to do:
- heat some olive oil in a pot and cook your celery, carrot and onion over a low heat until softened for about 10 mins. Do not let them colour so stir regularly.
- add the spinach, season generously and cook until softened for about 5 mins.
- add the chickpeas and stock and let simmer for about 30 mins.
- add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- serve with Parmesan cheese.
I have to say this was one of the nicest soups I’ve made and I’ve made a lot:) It was bursting with flavour and really comforting, perfect for the wintry day that is out there today.