Tuesday, October 7, 2008

chickpea and spinach soup!!

My little sis, I have 3, is pregnant and due her baby in a few weeks. She’s had the toughest time but has been so strong and positive, we’re all really proud of her. She’s in the nesting period and pottering around the house cooking and cleaning like a little housewife and I’m getting texts everyday about what she’s cooked off the blog and how her ”chicken eating simpsons and cops loving hubby” has loved everything she’s cooked. I got a request for this recipe to be posted today as she is craving it since I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago and another regular reader bigtree asked for it too so here it is:

what you need:

- 1 litre meat stock, I used Kallo stock cubes. Meat stock does make a big difference to the taste of this soup but veg is fine too.

- 1 onion chopped finely

- 1 carrot chopped finely

- 1 celery stick chopped finely

- 250g spinach washed and chopped

- 1 400g can chickpeas

- 100g soup pasta (fine without if you can’t get any but it really makes the soup lovely and filling)

- salt and pepper

- olive oil

what to do:

- heat some olive oil in a pot and cook your celery, carrot and onion over a low heat until softened for about 10 mins. Do not let them colour so stir regularly.

- add the spinach, season generously and cook until softened for about 5 mins.

- add the chickpeas and stock and let simmer for about 30 mins.

- add the pasta and cook until al dente.

- serve with Parmesan cheese.

I have to say this was one of the nicest soups I’ve made and I’ve made a lot:) It was bursting with flavour and really comforting,  perfect for the wintry day that is out there today.

buon appetito!

Posted by LOR&BRU in 11:36:29
Comments

8 Responses to “chickpea and spinach soup!!”

1. wee jen says:

Comforting and delicious – don’t know what the weather’s like in Limerick today but it’s horrible in Kildare. Coulld just curl up on the sofa with a big mug of this soup.

2. Anonymous says:

Hey jen, it’s absolutely disgusting! I’m going making cookies for the afternoon:)

3. Marie says:

I just saw another chick pea soup a couple of minutes ago over at Kalafogas. I love how fast you can whip up a warm and hearty soup!

4. Anonymous says:

This combination sounds great! Really warming. The only thin is (I may be misunderstanding you here) do you actually cook the spinach for 35 mins in total? Would it not be nicer to just throw it in five mins before the end so it stays nice and green and nutritious?

5. OOh sounds delicious, I love a good chickpea soup! Just popping over from MM for a peek around your lovely blog :)

6. Anonymous says:

, That’s what I was thinking! But maybe the nutrients go into the water, no? Great blog by the way (just over from MM ; ))

7. Sophie says:

This soup looks so delicious and hearty! I would love to include your recipe in our pre-loaded Demy, the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you’re interested.

To find out more about the Demy, you can visit this site:

Thanks!

8. Anonymous says:

Welocme MM ladies:) There is no problem adding the spinach at the end but I do think it gives it more flavour when it’s been simmering for a while. Don’t know much about it losing it’s nutritional value but it tastes rather good:) HPP must pop over to yours!

Thanks Sophie, will do:)